Outlined below are steps to creating the bowl:
1. To make your bowl shape, start with a balloon.
2. Cut up your newspaper (or butchers paper as I used) into small strips. Stick the paper to your balloon using Selleys Wall Paper paste. The more layers, the thicker the bowl - I ended up with about three layers.
3. Place your balloons upside down inside a paper cup and let it dry overnight.4. Once dry, pop your balloon and discard it. What you will have left is a bowl mould with imperfect edges. Just use scissors to trim it down to the shape you want. I made mine an
irregular shape on purpose.
5. Paint the bowl white (or any colour) inside and out. I ended up spraying the bowl with a final coat of enamel spray paint for a better finish (not pictured).
7. I sealed the bowl with a standard Jo Sonja's sealer (not pictured) - which actually made the gold become a little tarnished, but I ended up liking this effect.
Fingers crossed the recipient is pleased with his/her gift! I'll check back in with some of the DIY presents from my family that join the mix - with a few artists in the family, some are sure to be beautiful - and some are sure to be....entertaining!