2 1/2 cups plain flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
60ml red food colouring
120 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda
Cream cheese icing ingredients
450g cream cheese, softened
120g unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanill extract
2 1/2 cups icing sugar, sifted
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, mix food colouring and cocoa powder to form a thin, smooth paste. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
5. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then beat in vanilla and the red cocoa paste, scraping down the bowl frequently with a spatula. Add one third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beat well, then beat in half of the buttermilk.
6. Beat in another third of flour mixture, then second half of buttermilk. End with the last third of the flour mixture, beat until well combined, making sure to scrape down the bowl with a spatula.
7. In a small bowl, mix vinegar and baking soda. Add it to the cake batter and stir well to combine.
8. Working quickly, divide batter evenly between the cupcake papers and bake at 180°C for 15-20 minutes.
9. Cool the cupcakes completely on a wire rack before icing.
10. Icing: With an electric mixer, blend together cream cheese and butter until smooth.
11. Reduce speed to low, and blend in icing sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Increase speed to high, and beat until light and fluffy.
12. Enjoy with a cup of tea.